top of page

Before you begin...


Do you need planning permission for your building or renovation project?


What's allowed?

(Permissable Development)

 In most cases there is no need for planning permission to renovate or extend your property. The major exception is if your property is listed in which case you will have to obtain listed building consent. You will also need Building Control approval for all structural works.

To discover how national and local planning rules apply to your project, we recommend starting here for guidance direct from Canterbury City Council. 


Download our Quick Guide to Extensions for a simple breakdown of permitted development for single and multi-storey extensions where you live - including benchmark costs for building an extension in the UK.

SE Drawing.png

Who will create the drawings that communicate your vision to builders and planners?

Technical Drawings

Sharing your vision

If your project requires planning permission or structural changes, you will need to have drawings created to reflect your vision in structural and design terms.

We have worked with many local architects and structural engineers and are happy to recommend a number of local professionals: 


Ian Barber & Associates Ltd, 01227 770511

BlackRock Architecture Ltd 01227 281743

SEAS (South East Architectural Services Ltd 012287 283100


Structural Engineers

Thomason PJ & Associates, 01227 281882

The Grimsey Gee Partnership Ltd, 01227 770746

Kelsham Ltd, 01227 276503

Download our printable call sheet of recommended Architects and Structural Engineers.

London Road During.jpg

Work with Building Control to stay safe and avoid the need for indemnity policies when the time comes to sell.

Photo: Our projects are always undertaken in compliance with Building Regulations.

Building Control

Safe as Houses

Building Regulations set the standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure the safety and health for people in or about those buildings.


The Local Authority Building Control is operated by the South Thames Gateway Building Control, a partnership that delivers Local Authority Building Control throughout Kent for Canterbury City Council, Gravesham Borough Council, Medway Council and Swale Borough Council.

​You can also instruct a private Building Control Company enroled on the Construction Industry Council Approved Inspector Register (CICAIR).


We always offer to project manage Building Control inspections on behalf of our clients so that we can best co-ordinate site visits and maintain an effective workflow on your project.


Prepare for Party Wall Agreements and keep your project running to schedule.

Photo: Loft extensions that adjoin other properties will require Party Wall Agreements to ensure works can be undertaken on shared walls.

Party Wall Agreements

Neighbourly Matters

Before work beings, you must tell your neighbours if you want to carry out any building work near or on your shared property boundary, or 'party wall', in England and Wales. 


In a town of terraced homes, many of our projects require Party Wall Agreements. At Browne & Sons, we have an experienced Party Wall Surveyor on our team who will be able to handle all aspects of the Party Wall Survey and Agreement.

We recommend J Browne Surveys for Party Wall Survey services. 

bottom of page